Directions and their attributes - East
This is a very powerful direction, and is owned by Indra, Lord of Prosperity, Festivity, and Power. He is also a masterful manipulator. The representative planet for this direction is Surya (Sun), a powerful entity in its own right that none can match. The sun supports life and vegetation, and so the East is also known as the direction for growth. As the direction of sunrise, the East stands for prosperity and fulfilment in life because the sun purifies, cleanses and energizes the entire universe.
1. Like the North, the East should also be kept open, light and clean.Thick walls and absence of windows and doors in this direction results in a lack of ventilation in the house. This can cause stagnation in the lives of the residents. Remember, that any obstruction in the East can create an obstruction in your life. Always keep the East open, ventilated, light and clean. Openings in the East bring in a lot of solar energy, which has therapeutic properties. To reap the benefits of solar energy, let there be maximum openings along the East wall of your house/office. Even the curtains on the windows in the East should be light in both fabric and colour. Use light pastel shades in leaf green and cream on the eastern walls.
2. Building a staircase, a bathroom or store in the East is a major Vaastu offence and can cause many problems. A staircase here may lead to heart-related problems, while a store in the East blocks the flow of energies to the western section of the house. This creates difficulties in growth and prosperity.
3. If a building faces the East, the front courtyard should be kept open and spacious. If the front courtyard has a concrete floor, and the backyard on the West side is not solid, such as a garden, the building's occupants may face problems pertaining to financial growth.
4. The presence of a puja room, study room and conference rooms in the eastern part of a building is considered good. Hanging pictures of deities on the eastern walls of the house is auspicious.
5. A lower level floor in the eastern room is also auspicious, as it brings prosperity and happiness in a family.
6. Try to face the East while working or watching television.